Before you begin working an online part time job from home, you need to have a clear understanding of how you prefer to earn money. Do you enjoy working with clients and solving problems for them? Or would you prefer to work alone and earn money passively? Everyone is different, and knowing what makes the most sense from you is probably the most important thing when it comes to finding a way to earn money.
There are pros and cons to both of these work from home methods:
Passive income pros:
- Ultimate freedom – you choose when you want to work, and the money keeps coming in 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- You don’t have to answer to anyone but yourself – you are the boss
Passive income cons:
- Building a passive income stream is difficult, and usually not very profitable in the beginning
- The hours are (potentially) long when building up a passive income stream
- It has the potential to be a very solitary way to work
Billable work pros:
- The money is usually good – the quality of service you provide to your clients is directly proportional to the money you earn
- Human to human interaction is a plus for many
Billable work cons:
- Dealing with difficult clients can be stressful
- It may be difficult to find a client who understands your desire or need to only work part time (the hours might not be very flexible)
Remember that there isn’t one correct solution that fits everyone’s goals. You might consider doing a hybrid of the two if you are attracted to both of these methods. The simple act of working from home for a billable client is a natural hybrid in itself, as you are physically separated from the client and working alone most of the time. The way you choose to work will ultimately come down to you – try not to let the client dictate how or where you work.
To ensure that you stick with your work from home online job over the long term, it’s necessary to understand who you are and how you prefer to work. The chances of burring yourself out and quitting are far greater if you settle for any type of job environment that you don’t truly enjoy. Do yourself a favor and ensure success from the beginning by choosing to work exactly the way you want to do it.